Tomorrow's biggest stories in tech and business begin in Paris at VivaTech.
Beauty tech pioneer bets big on Web3 and beauty experiences online, offline and ‘on-chain’
Clichy, 10 June 2022 - L’Oréal today announces that it will share its vision for the Future of Beauty at Viva Technology (Viva Tech) 2022, the largest European technology industry conference and exhibition, taking place15-18 June in Paris. The beauty industry leader will guide visitors through an exploration of Web3 and the emerging beauty metaverse, alongside beauty innovations for the home, in-store and salons. L’Oréal returns to the sixth edition of Viva Tech with a state-of-the-art, 325m2 stand featuring immersive beauty experiences from top brands across its luxury, mass consumer, professional haircare and active cosmetics portfolio.
“We are delighted to be back at Viva Tech, where L’Oréal has had a major presence since the show’s inception in 2016. We have always taken bold steps to pioneer beauty tech innovations, and it’s our mission to explore emerging technologies and channels to engage a new generation of beauty consumers,” says Nicolas Hieronimus, L’Oréal’s Chief Executive Officer. “L’Oréal’s company purpose, which is to create the beauty that moves the world, embraces technology as a catalyst for transformation across our business.”
L’Oréal continues to shape the Future of Beauty, leveraging over a century of industry expertise to create unique, multisensory beauty experiences. Having pioneered Web2-enabled advances in skin diagnostics, teleconsultation and virtual try-ons, L’Oréal is laying the foundations for Web3 beauty experiences, to reach a new generation of consumers. ‘On-chain beauty’ signifies where beauty consumers and creators will converge on emerging platforms to participate in the new beauty economy.
Visitors to the L’Oréal booth at Viva Tech will experience innovations in online, offline and on-chain beauty, including:
• Yves Saint Laurent Beauté Scent-Sation is a first-of-its kind, in-store experience that uses a multi-sensor, EEGbased headset that tracks consumers’ emotional responses to different scent families and analyzes these to make product recommendations. Created in partnership with leading neurotech company, EMOTIV, Scent-Sation helps people navigate the vast world of fragrance so they can identify and select their perfect scent.
• L’Oréal brands are exploring on-chain beauty on Web3 to deepen our connection and engagement with communities, by offering unique beauty experiences, from ownership of collectibles to supporting the aspirations of up-and-coming creators:
o NYX Professional Makeup empowers the next generation of 3D beauty creators by aiming to become the first-ever decentralized record label for creators in Web3, redefining beauty in the metaverse
o Yves Saint Laurent Beauté opens 10,000 Golden Block NFTs through YSL Beauty’s Wallet to unlock experiences and utilities, such as social token drops from DJ-artists on P00ls.
o Mugler will celebrate the anniversary of its iconic 'Angel' fragrance with its very first NFT drop that will feature a crypto-art collection of 3D angels designed by a digital artist. True to its brand DNA, “The real world is not enough”, Mugler is elevating on-chain loyalty with these collectible NFTs.
• L’Oréal is building a diverse ecosystem of Web3 partners that spans artists, communities, tech platforms such as Arianee, and People of Crypto, a creative lab which promotes diversity and representation in Web3.
• L’Oréal has engaged in a first-in-beauty partnership with OpenSea, the world’s leading peer-to-peer marketplace for NFTs that will allow unique, virtual beauty experiences and collectibles, in brand-led environments, on the platform.
Retail of the Future by Lancôme
• Lancôme reimagines the future of retail with products and services spanning physical, digital and virtual consumer touchpoints.
o Absolue Dual-LED Youth Treatment is a new, in-store device that uses patented LED light therapy to dispense a luxury formula to treat skin and reduce the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles.
o Lancôme Shade Finder provides precise foundation shade-matching, with the ability to detect up to 22,500 unique skin shades and is offered both in-store and online in more than 30 countries.
o Lancôme Skin Screen provides an in-store skin diagnostic, scoring and aggregating over 13 different clinical signs, thanks to cutting-edge AI algorithms trained on more than 15,000 pictures
Salon of the Future Powered by Tech
• L’Oréal Water Saver, named one of TIME magazine’s 100 Best Inventions of 2021, is a groundbreaking showerhead that uses rocket engine technology to create a luxurious and efficient hair washing experience, while reducing water consumption by 61% compared to standard methods. Designed for the professional salon industry, L’Oréal Water Saver has the potential to help save billions of liters of water annually.
• Yves Saint Laurent Beauté Rouge Sur Mesure, powered by our Perso technology, is an AI-enabled, at-home system offering the ultimate in lip color personalization. With just a touch, the device analyses thousands of customized lip color possibilities – to match the wearer’s skin tone or outfit – and within seconds, produces a tailored shade that is stored in the detachable compartment for use on-the-go.
Virtual Dermatological Care
• SkinCeuticals Pro 1:1 will offer consumers the ability to receive dermatological advice online via a private, one-on-one video consultation with a professional medical aesthetician. This complimentary service will assess the client’s unique skincare needs and propose a personalized regimen to help them put their best face forward.
The L’Oréal Partner Ecosystem
• L’Oréal will unveil the results of its data science collaboration with one of the world’s most innovative and accurate climate tech companies, BreezoMeter, as well as Sleepscore Labs, a global leader in sleep research and improvement.
• Animaze, a Web3 startup nurtured in L’Oréal’s own Beauty Tech Atelier at Station F, will make its Viva Tech debut by demonstrating a new era of virtual influence through the use of avatars.
• Impact+, another L’Oréal Beauty Tech Atelier startup, will discuss how to accurately measure and improve digital sustainability.
“At L’Oréal, we believe beauty lies at the intersection of science and technology, and that these powerful forces will shape the future of beauty,” says Barbara Lavernos, Deputy CEO, in charge of Research, Innovation, and Technology at L’Oréal. “By combining our century-long scientific knowledge and data expertise with cutting-edge physical and digital technology innovations, we are reinventing and augmenting beauty experiences to meet the unmet desires, dreams and aspirations of our consumers all around the world.”
“The future of beauty is physical, digital and virtual. Therefore, while keeping our feet firmly grounded in Web2 acceleration, we are exploring Web3 with a novel on-chain beauty approach,” says Asmita Dubey, Chief Digital & Marketing Officer at L’Oréal. “We have been digital-first in all our endeavors and our aim is to enrich the consumer journey, which continues to evolve from O+O (offline + online) to O+O+O (online + offline + on-chain).”
Christian MUNICH, Individual shareholders and market regulators, @L'Oréal
+33 (0)1 47 56 72 06
Christine BURKE, Media, @L'Oréal
+33 (0)6 75 54 38 15
Noëlle CAMILLERI, Media, @L'Oréal
+33 (0)6 79 92 99 39
Françoise LAUVIN , Financial analysts and institutional investors, @L'Oréal
+33 (0)1 47 56 86 82
For over 110 years, L’Oréal, the world’s leading beauty player, has devoted itself to one thing only: fulfilling the beauty aspirations of consumers around the world. Our purpose, to create the beauty that moves the world, defines our approach to beauty as inclusive, ethical, generous and committed to social and environmental sustainability. With our broad portfolio of 35 international brands and ambitious sustainability commitments in our L’Oréal for the Future programme, we offer each and every person around the world the best in terms of quality, efficacy, safety, sincerity and responsibility, while celebrating beauty in its infinite plurality.
With 85,400 committed employees, a balanced geographical footprint and sales across all distribution networks (e-commerce, mass market, department stores, pharmacies, hair salons, branded and travel retail), in 2021 the Group generated sales amounting to 32.28 billion euros. With 20 research centers across 11 countries around the world and a dedicated Research and Innovation team of over 4,000 scientists and 3,000 tech professionals, L’Oréal is focused on inventing the future of beauty and becoming a Beauty Tech powerhouse.
More information on https://www.loreal.com/en/mediaroom